Thursday, March 4, 2010

World Book Day and Tea Stained Pages

I really don't get it. Today is WORLD book day for the UK and Ireland. The rest of the world celebrates it on April 23. WHAT!? How can it be "World book day" and only parts of the world celebrate it? No worries, this just means we get to celebrate it twice. Maybe we should just celebrate books during the time between the two dates. 50 Days of celebrating BOOKS!

Sounds good to me.
------------------------------------------

On another note...

This was the second week of the class I've been teaching down at Snow College in Ephraim, UT. We didn't get through all our books but we did have a good class and everyone had the wonderful opportunity to learn how it is to cut book board by hand and they made a circle accordion that we're using for pop up books next week. Next week we'll be finishing the books that we didn't finish today (Flowerfold and pocket accordion with signatures) and we'll play with pop up ideas as well as make leather longstitch books. Lots to fit in but we can do it!


I just put some new books in the shop. They have tea stained pages, not archival but they look awesome. I actually tore all the pages down before staining them, soaked them in 4 cups of water that had 19 tea bags in it. That's right. 19. And then I dipped the paper in that dark dark water and put them on a baking sheet. I fit 5 or 6 signatures at a time on a baking sheet and I placed them in the oven to dry quickly at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I left them in for 2-4 minutes depending on how wet I got them. They turned out some really nice looking pages and made for really great books. Check them out in my shop.

Well, I'm off to bed so I can wake up with the kids at 6:30 AM. Yep.

No comments: