Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How to make a raised design on a leather cover

I've realized that I speak the typical "tutorial dialect" when being filmed. I'm sorry for this :) It really is a difficult thing to just be myself when a camera is going. I guess it might be from still being teased about being a silly kid on home videos from eons ago :) Anyway...hopefully, I can get past my fear of the camera and liven it up a bit.

Here's the new video on doing a raised design on a leather book cover. Part two will be published tomorrow.


Part Two may be seen here

There are several ways to do your design underneath. This is usually how I do them because I really like to let the design go wherever it's going to go and I've found this is the best way for me. I know other book artists who would shun me though because they do it differently :) Really, you can use anything underneath as long as it can be glued in place. Some book artists use bookboard or even layers of leather. Some glue the leather to paper and cut out the design before placing it on the board. I suppose that way may be ideal in some ways, however, having done it, I find it tedious and limiting in some ways when I create my design. That's why I do it the way I do. I hope this gives you a start though and helps you to find a way that works best for you.

~Karleigh Jae

No comments: