Saturday, September 11, 2010

Longstitch Books




Longstitch Bookbinding Class 
at the Central Utah Art Center 
in Ephraim, UT


September 18th 10am - 1pm - $45

You'll have the opportunity to create a longstitch leather book and we'll discuss different techniques used to make them unique: 
closures, antiquing, painting, burning and more. 

The fee includes the materials for the longstitch book you will make and keep.

If you would like to come please contact me or The CUAC.

------------------------------------------------
Below are a few longstitch books that Daniel and I have made in the last year or so. This really is my favorite structure to use and therefore, I use it for my own journals and sketchbooks.  This book not only opens flat, but if you use the leather or another flexible material, you can bend the book back on itself like a spiral notebook. It makes it convenient, especially if you want a larger sketchbook format but not the awkwardness of a large size when opened just flat. 























































This is my journal which you can read about here.


This is a recent artist book I made which you can read about here.


You can also see more burned leather books on a past post here.

6 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig,Cynnie said...

Wonderful books!!! Just beautiful!

Svetlana said...

Your books are stunning. I wish I could attend one of your workshops but Australia is a bit too far. Thanks for sharing.

Holly H. said...

I am soooooo EXCITED for this CLASS! Your books are always beautiful! See you on Saturday!

KarleighJae said...

Thank you Cynthia!

Svetlana, maybe I'll have to take a trip to Australia sometime :)

Holly, I'm excited to show you how to make this book, the possibilities are endless and you'll love it! I'm excited to see what you create with this structure.

buechertiger said...

These are some beautiful books! I especially like the closure where the end is laced through the wider part - neat idea!

KarleighJae said...

Thanks Hilke, The "slide tie" as we call them was one of my husband's genius ideas :)